Aloha! Welcome to the UH Hilo Marine Option Program!
MOP is primarily driven by students interested in the ocean that surrounds our islands. MOP provides hands on, marine-focused experiences for any UH student interested in the ocean, including: turtle tagging, scientific diving, camping, whale and seal counts, and many other ocean-related field trips. MOP offers a certificate program for students of all majors.
Upcoming MOP Events
MOP activities are typically open to any UH student.
Please contact one of the MOP Coordinators if interested in attending.
- So far this year:
- - Monday, Jan 12, 2015: First MOP Executive Committee Meeting. 6PM-7:30PM
- - Friday, Jan 16, 2015: Welcome Pā`ina for all MARE and MOP students and faculty. 5:30PM
- - Saturday, Jan 24, 2015: Onizuka Science Day at UH Hilo. 8AM-3:30PM
- - Monday, Feb 2, 2015: MOP Office soft opening. Open daily 8AM-5PM
- - Saturday, Feb 7, 2015: Eyes of the Reef Field Training. 9AM-4:30PM
- - Monday, Feb 9, 2015: MOP Executive Committee Meeting. 6PM-7:30PM
- - February 14-16, 2015: Maritime Archaeology and History of Hawai`i and the Pacific (MAHHP) Symposium
- - Friday, Feb 20, 2015: Turtle Tagging at Punalu`u Beach with NOAA Fisheries. 7AM-5PM
- - Saturday, March 7, 2015: Whale Watch aboard Seeking Adventure. 8AM, 11AM, or 2PM
- Coming up:
- - Saturday, April 18, 2015: Annual MOP Symposium. This year it will be held on O`ahu.
- - Monday, May 18, 2015: First day of QUEST Field Program
- - TBD: MOP Graduation and BBQ
Need a place to study,
or work on a group project?
Come to the MOP Office!
Located on campus (map) between the Biology and Hawaiian Studies buildings, the MOP Office is a great resource for MOP students. Renovated by MOP students in early 2015, the MOP Office offers computers and large tables for working alone or in study groups. Future additions will include a projection system and conference table!
Looking for something to do
on Sunday morning?
Tune in to MOP Talk!
Hosted by UH Hilo MOP student Zach Higgins, MOP Talk is a weekly radio show that feature's various members of the MOP community, including faculty, staff, alumni, and current students. Topics include MOP programs, student projects, and other MOP- or marine-related topics.
The show runs every Sunday from 10 am to 12 pm HST and can be streamed from uhhradio.com. For people with mobile phones who want to listen in, download the RadioFlag app and sign up for a free account. The station ID is @iHilo.
Are you interested in what sort of projects and activities students in MOP are up to? Browse the latest issue of Seawords magazine, the Marine Option Program's monthly newsletter.
Would you like to contribute to Seawords? Suggestions and submissions are welcome. Submissions may include articles, photographs, art work, or anything that may be of interest to the marine community in Hawai`i and around the world. Contact Seawords at email@example.com.